Finally, Mahindra launched All-new 2020 Thar. Indian SUV manufacturer has worked hard to make Thar look different from Jeep Wrangler. But still, it looks quite the same. 2020 Mahindra Thar is definitely an off-roader but this version tries to balance out the urban and jungle feel.
|2020 Mahindra Thar : Classic look with modern features|
Also Read: 2020 Mahindra Alturas G4 specs and features
Also Read: 2020 MG Gloster make Indian debut
There is no second thought that Thar looks almost similar to Jeep Wrangler. The only difference is that Thar comes with 2-doors only. Mahindra made some minor changes to make Thar stand apart from Wrangler. Mahindra added horizontal bars to the front grille to make it different from Wrangler. 2020 Thar maintains its classic look with a feel of modern SUV.
2020 Mahindra Thar design and specs
|Front Bumper with Thar Badging|
Mahindra has come out with four variants of Thar based on features. The SUV is available in both petrol and diesel engine. The petrol variant is powered by 2.0 L mstallion 150 TGDi engine which produces 150 PS and 300-320 Nm of torque. The 2.2 L mHawk 130 engine produces 130 PS and 300 Nm of torque which is almost similar to its petrol sibling. 2020 Thar comes with both manual and automatic transmission.
|Rear LED Tail Lamps looks inspired from Jeep Wrangler|
2020 Thar key specs
- Engine 2.0 L mStallion 150 TGDi (Petrol), 2.2 L mHawk 130 CRDe (diesel)
- Max Power 150 PS (Petrol) & 130 PS (Diesel)
- Max Torque (Petrol) 300 Nm @1250-3000 rpm with MT
- 320 Nm @1500-3000 rpm with AT
- Max Torque (Diesel) 320 Nm @1600-2800 rpm
- Transmission 6-speed Manual & 6-speed automatic torque convertor
- Transfer case Manual Shift Part-time 4WD with high and low reduction gear.
Mahindra Thar is a sub-four metre SUV. The overall length is 3985 mm and a wheelbase of 2450 mm. Three variants of Thar AX std., AX & AX Opt. run on 16-inch wheels which gives them a ground clearance of 219 mm. The top variant ‘LX’ uses 18-inch tyres which provides ground clearance of 226 mm. Thar also has very good water wading depth of 650 mm which it can cross through any water body without much hectic.
Thar SUV key dimensions
- Length 3985 mm
- Width 1820 mm (for AX std, AX & AX Opt) 1855 (for LX)
- Height 1920 mm, 1844 mm (for Hard Top)
- Wheelbase 2450 mm
- Ground Clearance 219 mm (for AX std, AX & AX Opt) 226mm (for LX)
- Approach Angle 41.2 deg. (for AX std, AX & AX Opt) 41.8 deg (for LX)
- Departure Angle 36 deg. (for AX std, AX & AX Opt) 36.8 deg (for LX)
- Water Wading depth 650 mm
- Wheel 245/75 R16 Tubeless all terrain (for AX std, AX & AX Opt) & 255/65 R18 (For LX0
Inside of 2020 Thar
|Thar dashboard with modern features and controls|
The dashboard of Mahindra Thar does not look classic. It is a modern dashboard with controls for instrument cluster, AC and audio system. You get a lever for transmission case along with 6-speed gear lever. The seat upholstery is of fabric in top variant and vinyl in other variants. The AX std. and AX variant comes with 2+4 seating while AX Opt & LX have 2+2 seating arrangement.
|Front facing rear seats splits in 50:50|
|4WD transfer case manual shift|
2020 Mahindra Thar is an SUV made for off-roading and Thar has features which improve the off-roading experience.
- Electric Driveline disconnect on the front axle
- Removable doors for off-roading
- Tow hitch Protection
- Washable floors with drain plugs
- Welded tow hooks in front and rear
Apart from these, Mechanical Locking Differential is available in all but base variant while the Brake locking differential comes only in top variant ‘LX’.
|Roof Top Mounted speakers only in top variant|
2020 Mahindra Thar variants and price
Mahindra is offering 2020 That in four variants – AX Std., AX, AX Opt., and LX. AX std. is the base variant and LX being the top. The price for 2020 Thar starts at INR 9.8 Lakh for base variant and INR 13.75 lakh for top variant. Six colour options – Galaxy Grey, Aquamarine, Rocky Beige, Mystic Copper, Red Rage, and Napoli Black, are available to suit your style.
Keep visiting TAB – The Auto Blogs for more from the world of Automobiles.