2021 Renault Kwid is a sub 4metre compact SUV. First launched in 2015, it has improved in its appearance since then. Kwid is the only compact SUV available at this price range in India currently. Since, its launch, it has become one of the most sold cars Renault in India. The attention-grabbing feature of this compact SUV is its ground clearance. The only car that beat Kwid in ground clearance is Datsun Redi-GO. But again, Redi-GO is a hatchback and Kwid is the only subcompact SUV at this price range.
2021 Renault Kwid Highlights
- High ground clearance of 184mm.
- longest wheelbase in this price range.
- comes in 0.8L and 1.0L petrol engines
- Option for automatic tranmission also available.
- starts at price range of INR 3.32 Lakh around $4460
Looking for low-budget automatic cars? Read here to know about the car makers that offer an automatic transmission in entry-level cars that you can buy in India.
Renault Kwid design and appearance
Exteriors -The Appearance and presence
Kwid is bold and magnificent in its looks and appearance. It stands apart among the cars of this price range. The Kwid runs on 14-inch wheels and has wheel arch cladding. The side turn indicators are also integrated into wheel arches at the front that makes it looks cool. At the front, the LED DRLs to have a silver streak that matches with the silver accented horizontal bar at the front grille. The pentagon-shaped headlamps are halogen and have SUV styling and the same goes for the taillamps that are also halogen type and surrounded by the LED DRLs.
One thing that grabbed our attention is the front wiper. Renault Kwid uses a single wiper to clean the front glass and it does the job pretty well. The wiper wipes the glass from one end to another completely. Unlike other car wipers that clean only some portion of the front glass which sometimes creates a problem as we have to clean the glass by ourselves.
The top variants of Kwid feature roof rails also that enhance its SUV looks. On the outside, the subcompact SUV has a good amount of cladding work on its body. It has cladding on the front bumper, around the headlamps, wheel arches, doors, and on the rear bumper also.
The Climber variant has orange color inserts on some elements on the side and the outside as well.
Kwid colors available in 2021
Eight color combinations are available to choose from. Two of them are dual-tone.
- zanskar blue body colour with moonlight silver roof
- moonlight silver body colour with zanskar blue roof
- Zanskar Blue
- Fiery Red
- Ice cool white
- Moonlight silver
- Outback Bronze
- Electric Blue
2021 Renault Kwid Interior comfort, luxury, and features
On the insider, Kwid features a fully equipped virtual cockpit. The dashboard has a centrally mounted 8-inch (20.32cm) touchscreen that has preloaded apps. The infotainment system is compatible with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It uses a 4G internet connection to give real-time navigation. A mic is mounted on the roof for hands-free talking on the phone. The instrument cluster is fully digital and features a trip computer, tachometer, mileage display, and many more.
It has a good amount of storage space available inside the cabin. The glove box is very deep to offer comparatively bigger storage space. There is bottle storage on the front doors of both sides. Armrest at the rear seat but no bottle storage on the rear doors. The space at the rear is good for two adults and one child.
2021 Renault Kwid Engine, Transmission and performance
Kwid is powered by two engines. One is a 0.8L (800cc) 3-cylinders SCe petrol engine that delivers 54PS of max power and a peak torque of 72Nm. The power and torque are quite similar to other hatchbacks with 800cc engines. The 0.8L SCe engine comes mated to a 5-speed manual transmission system and currently, there is no option for auto shift gears with this engine from Renault. The four variants of Kwid come with a 0.8L petrol engine.
The other engine you can get with Kwid is a 1.0L SCe 3-cylinder petrol engine. The 1.0L engine is more powerful and delivers 68PS of max power and 91Nm of peak torque. The engine options available with Kwid are the same as the entry-level hatchback from Redi-GO from Datsun. The 1.0L engine comes mated to a 5-speed manual transmission but there is also an option to choose Easy-R automatic transmission.
The dimensions of variants are the same for both engines. Kwid is 3731mm long and has a wheelbase of 2422mm. The overall width is 1579mm which provides a comfortable space for 3 adults at the rear seat. The max height of the car is 1490mm which is again good for the headroom at the rear seat. The most important talking point of the Renault Kwid is 184mm of ground clearance which no other car offers at this price range.
On the safety front, Kwid comes with ABS and EBD as standard. It also has a drive-side airbag with seatbelt reminders. You can go for higher variants for co-passenger airbags. The higher variants also feature an engine immobilizer, rear parking sensor, and rearview camera with guidelines.
Kwid Variants and Prices
The base variant of Kwid starts at a lower price of INR 3.32 lakh which makes it one of the cheapest entry-level cars in India. It is the only subcompact SUV available in the Indian market at this price range. Renault offers six variants in total with an option to auto gear shift in two top models RXT (O) and Climber (O).
Kwid STD – Price INR 3,32,000
- Engine – 0.8L SCe Petrol engine
- 5-speed Manual Transmission only
- New stylish graphite grille
- Body coloured bumpers
- SUV-Styled Headlamps
- Silver Streak LED DRL
- Tail lamps with LED light guides
- Wheel arch cladding
- Reverse parking sensors
- Engine immobilizer
- Driver Airbag
- ABS + EBD
Kwid RXE – Price INR 4,02,000
Features RXE = STD+
- Body side decals
- Air Conditioner
- Rear Seats Foldable Backrest
- Front Speakers – 2
- Rear Grab Handles
Kwid RXL – Price INR 4,32,000 – 4,89,00
Features RXL = RXE+
- Engine 0.8 L and 1.0L ( manual and Automatic)
- Full Wheel Cover – Sparkling silver
- White stitched metal grey fabric upholstery**
- Front seats: Outer valence cover – Large
- Internally adjustable ORVMs
- Electric Power Steering
- Front Power windows
- 12V Front power socket – front
- Traffic Assistance mode
- Remote keyless entry with central locking
- DIN Stereo with Radio and MP3
- USB & AUX-in ports
- hands free telephone
Kwid RXT (O) Price INR 4,62,000 – 5,26,800
Features RXT (O) = RXL+
- Graphite grille with chrome inserts
- Full Wheel Cover – Dark Metal GT
- Dual tone interiors
- Rear parcel tray
- Fast USB charger
- Rear power windows
- Reverse parking camera with guidelines
- Passenger airbag
- 20.32 cm touchscreen MediaNAV Evolution
- Apple CarPlay
- Android Auto
- Push-to-talk (Voice recognition)
- Video playback (via USB)
- Roof mic
Kwid Climber (O) – Price INR 5.08,000 – 5,48,000
Features Climber (O) = RXT (O)+
- Arching roof rails with Sporty Orange inserts
- Volcano Grey muscular multi spoke wheels
- Sporty Orange contrast ORVMs
- SUV-styled front & rear skid plates with Sporty Orange inserts
- Door protection cladding
- Sporty Orange two-tone glossy internally adjustable ORVM
- Climber insignia on front doors
- Headlamp protector with Sporty Orange accents
- Sporty Orange side indicator on wheel arch cladding
- Chrome inner door handle
- Front door panel sporty orange deco
- Sporty Orange & white fabric upholstery with striped embossing
- Sporty Orange Climber insignia on steering wheel
- Sporty steering wheel with white stitching & perforated leather wrap
- Stylised Shiny Black gear knob with Sporty Orange embellisher
- Gear knob bellow with white stitching
- Sporty Orange AMT Dial Surround
- Sporty Orange Multmedia surround
Over the Renault Kwid is one of the best entry-level cars available in the Indian market today. It is the only Subcompact SUV available at this price range. But still, it gets touch competitions from others cars of this price segment.